Original British Pattern 1880 Officer Forage Cap
Hassle Free Returns
No questions asked, 30 days return policy.
All orders are shipped in 1-3 business days.
SSL Enabled Secure Checkout
Original item: Only One Available. The round forage cap with drooping peak, was first introduced generally in 1880 (It had been worn for some time by the Foot Guards prior to 1880) and it was to replace the shallower, kepi style round cap with the flat straight peak that had been worn since just after the Crimean War. At first it had straight sides but after some time, it developed a bell top. The cap was worn by most branches of the army except the cavalry, Royal Artillery and Rifle regiments in the infantry who wore the pillbox cap. On the previous caps, infantry regiments had worn their cap badge which was the regimental number in gilt or brass and where appropriate, a regimental device above. When the Childers reforms of 1881 were enacted, the numbers disappeared and regimental badges were adopted in either embroidery or various metals like gilt or silver. These regimental badges and devices were first described in the Dress Regulations of 1883, and continued through to regulations of 1900. The badges themselves were quite elaborate and must have tested the skill of the embroiderer as it was all done by hand. Because of that, badges varied in detail (sometimes substantially) because the work was done at a different time or by a different firm.
This example was produced by HUMPHREY & SON located…